ChickTech: High School is a yearlong program that introduces high school girls to different aspects of careers in technology and to inspire them to pursue a career in the technology and computer science fields.
Thirteen Lake Travis High School girls attended the kick-off of the Austin Chapter of ChickTech inaugural program held November 12-13 held at Google in Austin.
Participants attended one of the following hands-on technology workshops:
- Build Your Own Computer with Orange Pi - Computers and Hardware
- Developing for the Modern Web - Web Development
- Let’s Build a WiFi Robot - Robotics
- Level Design with Portal 2 - Video Game Design
- Designing Plushie Tech with Arduino Lilypad - Soft Circuits
- Digital Filmmaking - Digital Media
ChickTech received 339 nominations from 55 teachers in 37 Austin-metro area schools for the November event of which 100 girls were chosen to participate in a year-long technology workshops. The program is provided at no cost to the participants.
The girls also have the opportunity to continue attending workshops once a month at different technology and engineering companies throughout Austin.
December 10: User Experience @ Capital Factory
January 16: Design for Software @ IBM Design
February 11: Data Visualization @ TBD
March 4: Deploying a Web App with Cloud 9 and GitHub @ TBD
April 22: Agile in a Day @ CDK Global
May 26: Topic TBD @ WPEngine
For more information about ChickTech: High School, click here.