The Lake Travis Chamber of Commerce has selected Lake Travis ISD Superintendent of Schools Dr. Brad Lancaster as its Citizen of the Year and Serene Hills Elementary School 5th Grade teacher Kathy Austrian as recipient of its inaugural Golden Apple award. Both individuals were recognized during the 2017 Lake Travis Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Achievement Awards luncheon held Dec. 13 at Sonesta Bee Cave Austin.
Each year, the Lake Travis chamber recognizes local businesses, individuals and non-profits for their contributions to the community through its awards program. According to the Lake Travis chamber, the Citizen of the Year award recognizes an individual ‘who contributes to making the South Lake Travis community a great place to live, work, play and learn.’ This year, the chamber introduced the Golden Apple into its slate of award categories The award recognizes one educator—a current K-12 grade public or private school teacher—who has shown excellence in academics, leadership, inspiration and/or innovation. Other nominees for the 2017 Golden Apple award included the following educators from Lake Travis ISD:
- Clarissa Cullison - Career and Technology Education, Lake Travis High School
- Cathy Hill - Learning and Teaching Coach, Lake Travis ISD
- Patsy Mendel - Gifted and Talented, Lake Pointe Elementary School
- Laara Nava - Kindergarten, Lake Pointe Elementary School
- Lamar Schrader - English, Lake Travis High School
Other Lake Travis Chamber of Commerce award recipients included the following:
- Volunteer of the Year - Dean Carrier
- Ambassador of the Year - Andrew Rincon
- Founding Entrepreneur - Billy Leavings/QualTech Automotive
- Indie Award - Annmarie Hatfield/College Inroads
- Business of the Year - Baylor Scott & White Medical Center Lakeway
For more information about the 2017 Lake Travis Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Achievement Awards, visit www.laketravischamber.com.